- Company has doubled Michigan employment since 2003 and anticipates 25 percent hike by end of 2006
- Governor Granholm to address impact of her economic initiatives on Michigan economy
Speakers at the Grand Opening Dedication include:
- The Honorable Jennifer M. Granholm, Governor, State of Michigan
- L. Brooks Patterson, Oakland County Executive
- Thomas S. Neslage, President and Chief Executive Officer of Cobasys
- Gregory M. Vesey, President of ChevronTexaco Technology Ventures
- Robert C. Stempel, Chairman of Energy Conversion Devices
Prior to the opening of its Orion headquarters, Cobasys was located in three facilities in Troy, Michigan. “By consolidating our product development, systems engineering, and testing under one roof, we are able to leverage our resources to further develop and advance the commercialization of NiMH battery energy storage systems.” Neslage added, “Our focus is on high-volume hybrid automotive, heavy-truck and 42-volt transportation applications and for advanced stationary backup systems, including defense and homeland security.”
Governor Jennifer Granholm said, “Cobasys exemplifies Michigan’s transition toward a high-tech economy that will be competitive in the 21st century global economy.”
“Cobasys’ decision to consolidate and grow here is a testament to Michigan’s growing leadership in alternative energy technology development.”
The company also has a new 170,000-square-foot manufacturing facility in Springboro, Ohio (near Dayton), where it produces advanced NiMH battery system solutions for transportation markets, including Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEV), Electric Vehicles (EV) and 42-volt applications, as well as stationary back-up power supply systems for Uninterruptible Power Supply systems (UPS) and Telecom and Distributed Generation (DG) requirements.
Cobasys is a joint venture between Chevron Technology Ventures, an operating unit of Chevron Corporation (NYSE:CVX) and Energy Conversion Devices, Inc. (NASDAQ:ENER). For more information about Cobasys, contact Ray Wagner, Vice President of Marketing and Communications or visit us at www.cobasys.com.
# # #
> Back to Press Releases